Bio-energetics approach lay in three areas:
which concentrates on the stance of the patient with the feet on the ground and energy flowing freely in a circuit which reinforces a positive link with the earth.
Regular breathing patterns are established so that sensory awareness increases and the feeling of being alive is enhanced.
Bio-energetics recognizes five major character types. Most people manifest aspects of all the five.
- Schizoid Character: Represented by holding the body together as a result of fear of its falling to pieces. The social behavior is not in harmony with body awareness
- Oral Character: The muscular pattern reveals a fear of abandonment or isolation.
- Psychopathic Character. Here a muscular pattern of holding up against fear of failure is revealed.
- Masochistic Character. The muscular pattern derives from tension caused by blocking feelings of rights and needs.
- Rigid Character This is exemplified by a muscular pattern of holding back against emotions.
Dr. Gerda Boyesen pays special attention to the interplay between the mind and body processes.
Her approach uses massage and bodily movement techniques and works on the premise that a neurotic person embodies his neurosis in physiological processes.